Monday, July 22, 2013

Mercado Municipal Paulistano

Mercado Municipal Paulistano

Caju-Cashew Fruit from which Cashew Nut is Wrought 

Abacaxi Cristalizado-Candied Pineapple

I bought several candied fruits from a stand called Banco Do Ramon.  The only one I recognized was pineapple.  Candied pineapple has a slightly tougher exterior with an sort of fibrous center.  It has a slight pineapple taste and is not overwhelmingly sugary.

Amendoa Confeitura Prata-Chocolate & Silver Covered Almonds

I bought 4 of these for 2 Reais at a stand with a variety of nuts.  When I first tried to bite it I wasn't totally sure it was food.  I later discovered you have to suck the silver poisoning off the exterior and bite into it with your back teeth.  They did in fact taste like metal but weren't too bad.  I would recommend these sem prata...  

Rambutans-Lichas 

These fruits are red and covered with spiny protrusions that make them look like land urchins.  These spins are not sharp and you have to peel the skin off.  The salesperson did this by spinning it through a knife.  

Open Licha

The fruit of the Rambutan is very similar to a grape, but maybe a little sweeter. It is gummy with a pit on the inside. I recommend these and bought 5 for R$ 5.


Nespera-Loquat

Granadilla-Similar to a Pomegranate

Roxo Mangosteen-Purple Mangosteen 


Mangosteen has a purple skin that has to be cut off.  Inside is a white gelatinous fruit with pits.  It was very sweet and I would recommend them.  The salesperson let us try them por gratis.

Rosellia (phonetically)-Red Berries

These berries had a very earthy/grassy taste with a cranberry sour aftertaste.  I got the platter of them for R$ 15 and I think they were my favorite fruit from the mercado.

Linguica-Pepperoni

I'm not sure if this meat was either linguica or pepperoni.  It was spicier than both with allot of fat chunks in it. The samples were chewy but would probably be a good addition to mortadella sandwiches.

Salada de Fruita (Pote Pequeno)-Fruit Salad (Small Bowl)

This was served to us with condensed milk for R$ 3.  There were kiwi, mango, strawberries, and several other anonymous fruits.  It was very good and probably easy to make yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment